Team Diplomat is a community based volunteer program at Diplomat. Each year more than 1,500 philanthropic volunteers in the U.S. and Canada host local fundraising events to get critically needed new books and educational resources into the hands of children from low income families in their communities. To date, our volunteers have raised over $20 million for new books and educational resources.
Why You’re Needed
Diplomat is tackling one of the most pervasive problems facing educators working with children in disadvantaged communities: the profound lack of high quality books and educational resources.
The simple reality is: children need books to learn to read. A meta-analysis of over 11,000 studies on the impact of access to reading materials confirmed that correlation.i A rich supply of books improves reading performance regardless of a child’s economic status or even the parents’ literacy levels.ii But the disparity in reading scores between low-income children and children of means remains a stubborn gulf. Over 84% of low-income children are ‘below proficient’ in reading by fourth grade.
The need is enormous. More than 45% of children – over 32 MILLION – live in low-income households. And, in the poorest communities, there is only one book for every 300 children.
This is a problem we can fix. By pioneering innovative, sustainable models, Diplomat empowers educators with access to free and low-cost, high quality brand new books and classroom materials. Diplomat is also serving as a catalyst to increase the diversity in children’s books, working with publishers on stories and content that is culturally relevant, so that all children can see themselves in books.
Please Join Us
Share your love of reading and learning with others and join us today. With your help, we can provide the essential resources every child needs to succeed in school, and in life–brand new, high-quality books and educational resources.
Diplomat volunteers believe in the power of books to help children read, learn and succeed. As a Diplomat volunteer, you’ll be doing your part to get new books and educational resources into the hands of children who critically need them. Remember your favorite character or children’s story? Help us get those stories to other children. As a Diplomat volunteer, you’ll be part of a dedicated network of action -oriented, passionate volunteers who believe that all children, regardless of economic circumstances, should have the same access to quality resources. Whether you host one of our events or create your own, your efforts will help raise awareness and get books into the hands of children who need them most.
What You Can Do? Fundraise! How? By:
- Hosting your own event (e.g. gala, receptions, art auctions, 5k run, Book Bash, bake sale, etc.).
- Applying to host a Diplomat Event. These events feature local celebrities and community leaders bringing to life characters from children’s literature.
- Creating an online campaign and rallying your friends and family to give the gift of access to books via an online Virtual Book Drive.
- Expanding your network: Join the Diplomat Society geared to young professionals between the ages of 21-35 committed to hosting three social fundraisers during the year. These social events include restaurant nights, paint nights, raffles, etc.
How Diplomat Will Support Your Efforts:
- Toolkits and playbooks for creating and executing a successful event. Resources include promotional materials, sponsorship materials, and media tools.
- A personalized fundraising page and champion center to set up your own online Virtual Book Drive.
- The support of Diplomat’s Giving department throughout your fundraising efforts.
- Diplomat branded materials, national partnerships and collaborations to support local efforts, award-winning, high profile national Diplomat leadership, and years of success.
How to Get Started/or to Continue Your Efforts:
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
– Find a Diplomat Advisory Board near you. There are more than 100 boards nationwide.
– Working with Diplomat Advisory Boards.
– Local Advisory Board Resources. Already registered? Log in to the resource center for tools and tips to support a successful board in your community.
– See more at: http://www.Diplomatls.com/